The Town…

Have you ever played a game where you say a sentence and then someone else says a sentence and it goes on through the group, and the goal is to make a short-story with the sentences? My friend, Elizabeth (Lizzie)  came over to my house one day and we played that game. We came up with the following story. I hope you enjoy, we will be writing the ending soon so check back soon. Write what you think in a comment, we would love to hear your opinion.

There once was a 12-year-old girl named Annie walking through a town a few villages away from her own. The town was black, with dust flying up into her eyes. While walking through the town, wanting to get out as fast as possible, she saw, out of the corner of her eye, a group of teenagers with pale faces and black hoods over their heads… then they disappeared. She walked over to the ally where she thought they had gone, but the only way they could have gotten out would have been to climb the 50 foot wall surrounding the town. She thought she saw a bush rustling. She screamed and ran out of the town.
The next day her mother told her to go back to the town to sell bread. She freaked out and begged her mom not to make her go. Her mom said, “You are being ridiculous, it was probably just an animal.” and sent her out. Reluctantly, Annie left for the town with the bread basket. The first house she stopped at was a big, dusty, old castle that looked like it had not been used in a thousand years, yet there were horses in the stable and a dog barking inside. Annie caustically knocked on the door. A boy, who looked her age creaked the door open slightly, showing only his eye. “What do you want?” he said. She slowly found her voice, only just realizing she had lost it. “I…I came to sell b…bread.” Turning to leave, closing the door behind him, he said, “I don’t want any bread.” Gaining her confidence, she said, “I came to sell bread, so I am going to sell bread. Not everyone is a rich as you! This town has it so good and never even thinks of the rest of us!” The boy looked at her, with sad eyes. When she was beginning to release her anger, out of the corner of her eye, she saw the pale, hooded people from the ally again. When she turned to look at them, they disappeared, just as before. She turns her head around again and says, “What is wrong with this town? I keep seeing these…” the boy had walked closer to her now, and she had taken that as a cue to stop talking. The boy, slightly looking down, had a look in his eyes, something she never seen on anyone in the town before. “I have no idea what you are talking about. Just get out.” He turned and left, leaving her more frightened than ever before.

That night at her house, she was still thinking about the boy in the town. She had finally realized what the look in his eyes was. It was fear, but not of her, of telling. As if he did, something horrible would happen to someone.

To Be Continued…